Monday, October 19, 2009

That Boy of Mine

I don't know how he does it, but as awkward as some of Dylan's behaviors can be -- he always manages to touch the lives of people around him. He has a spirit about him that people seem to notice or sense. And just when I think he will never truly act normal, I see that he has more than a normal ability to impact others. Here is an example of a typical situation that happens at least monthly in my life: Dylan does something wildly humiliating to his mother, then someone finds a story to tell me of when he touched their lives. For example, Dylan decides Sunday at church to go up to the pulpit and try to take the microphone from the speaker. I'm of course dying inside and wondering how to best not distract from others trying to pay attention. With knots inside, I continue attending church the rest of the day. Another mother comes up to me at church with tears in her eyes. She says my son's speaking part in the Primary program took her breath away. She tells me it was the most moving part of the whole program. (For a good laugh, read the post below about that program!) I wonder sometimes if people tell me these things to make me feel better about the embarrassing moment. But I doubt it. Somehow he has a way to touch people without really saying much. I don't know why Heavenly Father trusted me to mother him. He sometimes seems to get so little about this life, yet teaches us all so much more than this life shows us. It always reminds me that we can benefit from all types of people. We don't have to be socially normal or even good at social situations to make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*tears*