If any of you have been to church with us, you probably know how much we dread the annual children's program. The Primary children usually each stand and read a part or sing a song. The first year Dylan was old enough to participate, he had a major tantrum. He was frustrated that this was not a typical Sunday routine, that the kids were being loud and that he didn't know how to participate. He ran to the back of church and had a major tantrum. Realizing the huge difference between our child and the others, Eric and I left. We spent that afternoon as a family at the Washington D.C. temple and tried to just enjoy whatever level of progress Dylan had made. That was two years ago. Last Sunday, Dylan was the opening act of the Primary Program. He's such a good reader now. He stood up and read "I am a child of God and He has a plan for me." Dylan spoke so clearly and loud enough that everyone could hear him even in the very back of the chapel. I was proud of him and touched that he had the perfect part. God DOES have a plan for him. I don't know how it will all work out, but I do believe God has a plan. I'm grateful that 2 years later, this annual children's program is not as painful for us as parents. Dylan doesn't stay and sing every song with the other children. But, we are grateful for the milestones he has reached... being able to read, speak loud enough for others to hear, confidence to talk in front of others. The program still causes a twinge of pain each year as I remember the first time I sat in tears and watched how easily the other children stood and sang and participated. Yet, I'm thankful for the phrase Dylan read to us all "God has a plan." Very profound and very true! After the program, many people told me that Dylan's part was the highlight of the whole thing for them. I'm impressed that he touches other people's lives in ways I sometimes don't even realize. He IS a child of God who has a mission on this earth and I'm so grateful to see how it unfolds.
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We are so impressed that Dylan has parents that don't give up. When you had a painful experience you tried to salvage it by continuing in the spirit of the Sabbath day by going to the temple grounds. The painful days did not keep you from going back. We admire your family for constantly keeping up the church attendance, week after week, no matter what. Not only will that provide the routine that Dylan craves, but more importantly it provides a spiritual base for your whole family. You have so many excuses not to go to church every Sunday, or not to attend all 3 hours. Yet, you take one day at a time and somehow pull it off. Your family is a great example that we all need to follow. Dylan's progress and all of the other blessings are evidence that your dedication is paying off. We love you!
Post a Comment